Monday, October 1, 2012

Kohawk Homecoming

Finally reality is setting back in.  No more excuses for not doing my homework, staying up late, and not getting enough sleep.  This weekend marked the end of Coe's homecoming.

Christina Albrecht and I at the homecoming game!
First let me say this: being a freshman I had no idea what to expect out of this weekend.  In high school there were the dress up days, powder puff football, crowning of the king and queen, pep rallies, one big football game, and a dance.  In those ways homecoming here was just like high school- but way better.  For one, I went from being a Mohawk in high school, to a Kohawk here at Coe.  That one change in a letter made a big difference, considering the Kohawks are actually winning their football games.  On Saturday we won 51- 0 against Buena Vista; now that's not just considered a win... that's a blow out.  I'm happy to be cheering for a winning team; the Kohawks definitely didn't let me down.  The parade before hand was a fun way to get everyone pumped up and ready for the game.  Riding in the parade you could see not only all the little kids begging for candy- but all of the tailgaters and Kohawk fans ready for one heck of a football game.  I was completely surprised by the huge crowd of people that congregated outside the bev and brat tent, and also all of those who tailgated before the game.  While Coe is a small school compared to say, the University of Iowa.. the parents, students, alumni, and even professors all know how to have a good time.
Arran Weeces, me, McCall Meade, and Gretchen
Lilienthal before the dance.
Kohawk Rock was something new they tried this year.  Usually during homecoming the students put on a Follies- much like a variety/talent show- but this year it was a little different.  Held in Eby gym, the stands were packed with students.  There were several skits (all which featured the homecoming court), singing, and even a comedian.  It was a great way to start off the Homecoming festivities.  The dance was also a great time.  Buses took all of us to the Clarion hotel where there was food, refreshments, loud music, and you can bet a lot of dancing.  It was a new experience for me and definitely lived up to my high expectations.

This weekend I was also able to participate in a one in a lifetime event for Coe College- The 100th anniversary of the Delta Eta Chapter of Delta Delta Delta here at Coe.  We had one of the biggest Reunions known to Coe- over 300 Tri-Deltas and their families came back to participate in the festivities that were put on by our collegiate chapter.  This included a social reception at President Phifer's house, a dinner at the Cedar Rapids Country Club, and a social continental breakfast here on Coe's campus.  Throughout this weekend I was able to converse with Tri-delts back from when my father was here at Coe College!  Many of them said they recognized my father's name, and I still haven't decided whether that's a good or bad thing.  The most amazing thing I witnessed this weekend was a 95 year old who made it to Coe just for the 100th anniversary.  That is one dedicated woman and it goes to show how much of an impact the Delta chapter here had on her.  It's true when they say that you're not just a Delta for four years, but for life.

A couple Delta babies before the reception and dinner!


Another thing that made this weekend so much more memorable was having my family here to share all of this with me.  My father and his girlfriend were able to make the two hour drive from Mason City, Iowa to celebrate homecoming.  The ironic thing is that my dad graduated from Coe, and his girlfriend got a degree from Buena Vista... It's safe to say she was a Kohawk fan this weekend. (and who wouldn't want to be!?)

Unfortunately this weekend gave me something I like to call the "Coe Crud."  From staying up late, my lack of sleep, and the change of seasons, I am experiencing my first sickness away from home.  Unfortunately I can't holler for my dad to bring me medicine or get me food, so I'm left vegetating on my semi-comfortable futon.  For all the festivities and fun from this weekend though, it is completely worth it.

This years homecoming theme pretty much says it all, "Crimson and Gold never gets old.  Not four years, for life."  I will forever not only be a Delta, but forever be a Kohawk.  This weekend proved that to me considering the hundreds of alumni that came back to celebrate homecoming with us.  While I am proud to call myself a Kohawk currently, I know that in ten years I will as well.

With love,
Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment