Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving

Going home for the second time was everything I expected- plus more.  Home cooked meals, my own bed, not having class... need I say more?  It seems like forever since I last sat down to write a blog, but maybe that's because my mind was set on enjoying break.  I hope that all of you were able to enjoy your break too- whether that includes stuffing your face with turkey, watching football on not only Sunday and Monday night, but Thanksgiving as well, or even doing absolutely nothing.  Thanksgiving is time to do all of those things, but sometimes it goes overlooked.  I think sometimes we forget that it is a day of thanks and a day to appreciate all that we all are thankful for.  So let me ask you, did you tell your parents thank you for that wonderful Thanksgiving meal they made you?  Think about it while I tell you what I'm thankful for.

1) Family.  Even while being away from home I still am able to hold a close relationship with my family.  Whether it's me calling my sister to get advice on a class, calling my grandma and grandpa to talk about my blog, or call my dad about Coe's awesome wrestling, football, and other athletic teams- I have the ability to talk to them on a daily basis.  You go to college and think "wow, I'm not going to see my family for months," but after that time goes by you realize that your family isn't going anywhere.  It's true what they say, friends come and go, but family is always there.

2) Friends.  Leaving for college is a true test as to what friends come, and what friends go.  Therefore, I am not only thankful for the new friends that I have made at Coe, but also my old friends that I've managed to keep in touch with.  Holding a friendship is hard when you're hours away from one another, but our generation is lucky to have technology that makes it easier. Separating from my friends was one of the hardest things about going to college, but there's always Facebook, Twitter, and texting that helps me stay involved in their life.

3) Home.  Recently, I have found myself calling my dorm home.  This just says how much I have settled into being here at Coe- and I think that goes for many other people as well.  I consider myself lucky and I am thankful that I have a school where I have absolutely everything I need right at my fingertips.  Money?  I have a job on campus.  Support system?  I have my roommate and several new friends living right in my dorm.  Help with class?  Coe offers so many tutor opportunities.  It all comes down to one thing- I've found my home away from home.

Those are just a couple things I am grateful for, yet the list goes on forever.  I guess that coming to college has made me appreciate the little things in life, and I think more people should.  It truly is the little things that can make someone smile and even make their day.  So, take a moment and think about it, what are you thankful for?

With love,
Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment