Sunday, October 13, 2013

Especially For You

I did it.  I finally ran my first 5k.  When I first signed up to do it back in August I thought I was crazy, but now I'm so happy that I did it.  This was the 23rd year General Mills and Mercy Medical Center had put on the race that includes a 5K run, 5K walk and a one-mile family fun walk right here in downtown Cedar Rapids, blocks away from Coe.  All for a good cause, too, since more than $370,000 from race registrations go to the "Especially for You" fund, which provides mammography and other breast-care services for area individuals who cannot otherwise afford them.  More than 15,000 people turned out for a race to raise money to fight breast cancer.  Every person there was either supporting, fighting, or surviving breast cancer so it hit home for many people.  When it comes to me, I ran it for my grandma who is a breast cancer survivor and also one of the strongest people I know.  I was young when she had it, but I still remember looking up to her with admiration as I touched her bald head and loved how silky soft it was.  At the time I was clueless to what was going on, but now I'm happy to do my part and be one of 15,000 people running for a great cause.  My grandma was my motivation to finishing the race, and I'm proud of myself for doing so in under 30 minutes.  Check out these pictures from the race!

Kohawk love,
Alexis

Coe's team ready to run!


A couple friends and I after running the race!


My official number




No comments:

Post a Comment