Monday, September 17, 2012

Freshman Fundamentals

After being on Coe's campus for about a month now, I've already begun getting into the groove of things.  Going from a high school senior to a college freshman puts a dent in your seniority- in fact it doesn't give you any.  Being a freshman all over again has given me a new perspective and these are a couple of the lessons I have already learned:

1) Living in a freshman dorm is a great way to meet people.  I live in Armstrong, and I have been able to form new relationships and make plenty of friends who are freshman.  I guess it's true, you do get closest to your class, though, and this is no exception to the class of 2016.  Again, it's like starting high school all over again. (but WAY better)

2)  While the freshman dorm has it's perks, don't plan on getting ANY homework done in that place.  I swear there is no downtime in Armstrong; there is always the constant running down the hallways, yelling, and loud rap music (someone even has a sub in their dorm room!).  Of course you would think that simply closing your door would keep people out, but never.  Unlike some, I love the hustle and bustle of it all.  Those close friendships you make that I was talking about earlier makes everyone think that they can just randomly walk into any unlocked room- and I love it.   In that case, though, forget trying to do homework on the comfort of your futon- you're better off going to the library instead.

3) School is not necessarily hard.  You get up, go to class, and in my case- get done by noon every day.    Sounds great doesn't it?  Having the whole day to do whatever you want... WRONG!  Time management is probably the hardest thing to grasp in college.  Especially if you're in a sport, a sorority, or one of the many clubs here on Coe's campus.  You don't really have time to loaf around and watch T.V. when you have a quiz, two exams, a paper due, a sorority meeting, BOD meeting, volleyball game to watch, and a Bio lab to do all in one week. (and that's beside going to class.)  Yet, being involved is one of the best things you can do in college.  It almost forces you to schedule out what you have to do that week, and this past few weeks a calendar whiteboard has been my best friend.

4) Money does not grow on trees. I can't just walk into the next room over and ask my dad to give me $20 because I want to go to a movie or go out to eat with my friends.  While yes, you do have more freedom in college, there will be a time when a college student realizes that their mom or dad isn't there to hold their hand anymore.  The bittersweet reality is that we're not at home anymore.  No more big comfy bed or even home cooked meals.  Yet, this makes going home that much more enjoyable and looking at your mail box that more exciting.  I'm always waiting for a letter or care package from someone at home.  It's nice to know that they're thinking of you, especially when you think of your family and friends back at home all the time.

5) COLLEGE IS FUN!  Subtract the homework, time management, noisy dorms, and home-sicknesses, and you have one of the best experiences ever.  I'm sure that within this next week I'll learn plenty of more fundamentals for my freshman year, but I think for now I'm on the right track.

With love,
Alexis

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more on the freshmen dorm issue. Yes, it's a great way to meet people, but impossible to get things done. There's always guys walking around in moscot suits on our floor. Like full out carrots, sock monkeys, and bunny suits. Pretty distracting if I do say so myself. I still haven't mastered time management though....

    ReplyDelete